Royal and Ancient Burgh of Lauder  

HISTORY

> Articles on Lauder's History
> People of Note
> Town Trail
> Lauder Common Riding

home > history > towntrail

Lauder Town Trail

Introduction
Lauder is situated beside the River Leader on one of the oldest routes between Edinburgh and England.....

Historical Background
Lauder is an ancient town and was known in the 12th century as a 'Kirktown'.....

Leader Leisure Centre
The start of the Lauder Town Trail is at the new Leisure Centre in Mid Row.....

Mill Wynd
Site of the old police station and Tower House.....

Lauder Kirk
The original kirk for Lauder was outside the town boundary, near Thirlestane Castle and was built by Richard de Moreville in the 12th century.....

Town Hall
Lauder Town Hall was formerly the town Tolbooth.....

Mercat Cross
The Mercat Cross of Lauder was originally sited at the bottom of the stairs to the Tolbooth or Town Hall.....

Black Bull Hotel
The Black Bull Hotel dates from the 18th century.....

The Avenue
The Avenue was once the main approach to Thirlestane Castle and was lined with trees.....

Jonny Cope's
John Cope is said to have made his first stop here after the battle of Prestonpans in 1745 where the Government was defeated at the hands of the Jacobites.....

Castle Wynd and Crofts Road
The streets now commonly known as Crofts Road and Castle Wynd were once known as Upper and Lower Backside respectively.....

The Row
'The Row', was formerly known as 'Rotten Row' and is situated on the east side of Lauder's main street.....

West Port and War Memorial
The West Port was renowned for Bailie William Lauder at the West Port who was slain by the Earl of Home's men who had been pursuing him.....

The Loan
The Loan was originally the ground for communal grazing and the route to Lauder Common.....

Lauderdale Hotel
This building was built in c. 1900 as a Temperance Hotel.....

West High Street
No 43 West High Street is a fine example of a 19th century single storey cottage of whinstone rubble, formed by merging two 3 bay cottages.....

Symington Place
Symington Place features some interesting architectural features such as the 'cat-hole' at the rear of the houses separating them from the properties in the High Street.....

22-26 West High Street
Nos 22-26 West High Street all have 19th century frontages including one with a bay fronted window feature.....

Lauder Primary School and Factors Park
This was once two schools, the Free Kirk School (1844) and the Parish Church School (prior to 1657).....

Lord Lauderdale's School
A report from 1835 tells of 140 children in a room approximately 11 metres by 5 (36' x 16 ').....

Factors House
This was the house and office of the estate factor and it was from here that they would have managed Thirlestane Estate.....

East Port
The narrowest part of the A68 road from Edinburgh to Newcastle is at the former East Port in Lauder.....

Kirk Wynd
Kirk Wynd once led to the Old Kirk in the grounds of Thirlestane Castle and the name has remained ever since.....

Thirlestane Castle
The central east-west turreted block of the castle dates from 1590 and is built in the centre of a large English artillery fortification.....


 

Town Trail Lauder Scotland