Lauder Light Railway
The Lauder Light Railway came into existence in 1899 and ceased in 1957.
The first sod for the start of the building of the railway was cut by the Countess of Lauderdale on 3rd June 1899 and the route officially opened for traffic on 2nd June 1901.
Running from Lauder to Fountainhall, a distance of some 10½ miles, the line joined the main Waverley Line from Edinburgh to Carlisle, with a halt at Oxton. The journey to Fountainhall normally took 47 minutes in all.
Passenger traffic ceased in 1932, but the goods traffic continued until 1957.